Applying for Student Loans
Applying for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan
You must be enrolled in at least 6-credit hours required for your OCCC degree, seeking an OCCC degree and meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive Federal Student Loan funds.
All of the following steps must be completed before your loan request can be processed.
- Apply and be admitted to OCCC for the purpose of completing an eligible OCCC Degree or Certificate plan.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for the current academic year online at StudentAid.gov FAFSA.
- Provide all required documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. View your required documents online at MyOCCC Portal. Under Self-Service select Students, Financial Aid Awards, Required Documents.
- Receive Award Notification Email sent to your OCCC student email.
- Complete Loan Entrance Counseling First-Time Student Loan Borrowers are required to complete loan entrance counseling at StudentAid.gov Entrance Counseling. Loan counseling confirmations are imported daily.
- Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN) at StudentAid.gov/mpn, MPNs are valid for 10 years. However, MPNs will expire 12 months after the MPN is signed if no loan disbursements are made. MPNs are imported daily.
- Review Financial Aid awards and accept your Direct Loans online at MyOCCC Portal. Under Self-service select Students, Financial Aid, My Awards. All loans come in two disbursements per semester. Accept any subsidized loan amounts first. Loan offer amounts can be reduced to allow students to borrow only what is needed. Remember to borrow wisely.
Applying for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans should only be requested after a student's eligibility for federal and state student financial assistance is determined. The student's eligibility for federal assistance must be established before a parent may borrow a PLUS Loan. The student must be enrolled in a minimum of 6-credit hours required for your OCCC degree, seeking an OCCC degree and meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress for the parent to receive a PLUS loan.
Parent PLUS loan borrowers cannot have an adverse credit history. A credit check is required. Parent and their dependent child must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens, must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant, and must meet other general eligibility requirements for the Federal Student Aid programs.
Student must complete the following:
Complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid online at: StudentAid.gov FAFSA . Student's OCCC financial aid file must be complete. The yearly limit on a Parent PLUS Loan is equal to the student's cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives.
Parent must complete the following:
Complete Parent PLUS Application - Parent borrower will need to complete and submit the Parent PLUS Application at StudentAid.gov Parent PLUS Application Federal PLUS loans are credit based.
Complete Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) First-Time Parent borrowers must complete and sign the required Parent PLUS Loan Agreement (MPN) at StudentAid.gov Parent PLUS MPN MPN files are imported daily.
Contact Financial Aid Office - If the parent borrower is denied a Federal Direct Plus Loan, contact the Financial Aid Office to review other options.
Applying For A Private Educational Loan
Private Student Loans are credit-based loans offered by banks or lending institutions with terms and conditions that vary with each lender. Federal student loans may be more favorable. Private Loans should only be considered after all grants, scholarships and federal student loans have been exhausted. Oklahoma City Community College does not participate in preferred lenders lists.
Student should complete the following:
1. Complete FAFSA - File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the following link: StudentAid.gov FAFSA . The yearly limit on a private loan is equal to your cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you receive.
Students must complete the following for private education loan:
1. Evaluate Lenders - First visit your local financial institutions for guidance. Factors to keep in mind when evaluating a lender: customer service; stability of lender; if loans are held by lender or sold; borrower benefits; online lender services; repayment options; and additional services.
2. Complete Private Loan Application - You will need to apply online or obtain a paper application from your lender to apply for a private educational loan. The following lenders provide Private Loans for OCCC Students.
3. Complete Master Promissory Note - You will need to complete a Master Promissory Note with your lender either through their website or by obtaining a paper copy from the lender.
4. Complete Self Certification Form - A Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification form is required. The form can be obtained from your lender or OCCC Financial Aid Office. Section 2 of the form asks for "Cost of Attendance" and "Estimated Financial Assistance". This information is calculated from your processed FAFSA and financial aid award. Student submits the Self Certification Form to student's lender.