Note: Close Alert Box

COVID-19 is a virus identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness that has spread globally into a pandemic. OCCC encourages you to learn more about COVID-19, health and safety precautions, and resources at:

OCCC Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus Reporting Form for Faculty and Staff

CDC Coronavirus Website

Veterans Services

The Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC) provides a full-time Veterans Affairs Office to assist students who are eligible to receive Educational Benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. All degree plans offered by the OCCC have been approved by the State Accrediting Agency for payment of federal benefits.

The Veteran Student Services Office is your liaison to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for certification of your veteran and veteran related education benefits. We encourage all students who are eligible for G.I. Bill® benefits to visit our office prior to enrolling so that we may provide important information and assistance in the proper filing of required forms.

The OCCC Veterans Affairs Office will certify enrollment for payment of VA Educational Benefits for all students who meet eligibility criteria as set forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Enrollment certification is also done for students eligible for REPS (Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors) and for students eligible for CHAMPVA (the VA Civilian Health and Medical Program).

The OCCC Veterans Affairs Office maintains a positive working relationship with the Veterans Affairs Regional Office and other educational institution's veterans affairs offices. This enables us to assist our students with VA and educational problems in a more effective manner. We are here to provide assistance in contacting other VA sources and to provide guidance in solving any problems they might encounter at OCCC.

The OCCC Veterans Affairs Office processes enrollment certifications for an estimated 575 to 775 students each semester. Our student population, claiming educational benefits, consist of active duty service persons (Chapter 30 Active Duty), active duty veterans Chapter 30, Chapter 33), veterans on the VA Vocational Rehabilitation program, National Guard and Reserve personnel (Chapter 1606), and those who are eligible to receive benefits under the Survivors and Dependents Assistance Program (Chapter 35).

Service to the student is our main objective. It is our goal to assist students in receiving all VA educational money they are entitled to and to receiving it in the most timely manner.

Active Duty Tuition Assistance:

Military students are eligible to apply for tuition assistance. However, each branch of the military processes tuition assistance in a different manner, so please review the procedures and deadlines for filing with your particular service's Educational Service Officer (ESO).


Department of Veterans Affairs

Once you have your verification:

  • You must come to the OCCC VA office each semester that you enroll.
  • If you are claiming benefits for the first time and you were on Active Duty, you will need to bring to the OCCC VA office copy 4 of your DD form 214; and a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  • If you are in the National Guard or the Reserves, you will need to bring to the OCCC VA office a copy of your VA COE. 
  • If you are getting benefits through the VA Vocational Rehabilitation program, we must have VA form 22-1905 from your VocRehab counselor.
  • If you are claiming benefits as a dependent, you will need to bring us a COE from the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the eligible veteran's social security number.
  • The OCCC VA office keeps the necessary VA forms that will need to be completed in order to activate your Educational Assistance.
  • To ensure you receive your money on-time enroll in OCCC classes early and visit the OCCC VA Office.

Other Links:

VA Education Benefit Pay Rate Tables

 Veterans- Did You Know?

  • Some states have different state benefits available to veterans, such as hunting and fishing license; car tags at a reduced cost; tuition waivers at state schools; etc. You should contact your State Department of Veterans Affairs to obtain information.

  • Unemployment benefits for recently discharged veterans also varies from state to state. Contact your State Employment Service for additional information.

  • Undecided as to what you want your final vocational and/or educational goal should be? The VA has counseling and assessment available to you through Vocational Rehabilitation Division at your local regional office. You can request counseling through your local regional office through the toll-free number, 1-888-442-4551.

  • Running out of time trying to find a part-time job? Under the VA Work Study Program, VA offers jobs to students going to college using VA education benefits, and enrolled in at least three-quarter time training. You can earn up to $2,188.75 per semester. The best part is that it is tax-free! If you are interested, contact your local regional office through the 1-888-442-4551 number for more information.

  • Buying a home? If you want to find out if you have eligibility to benefits for a VA guaranteed home loan. Complete a VA form 26-1880 and return to your local regional office along with a copy of your DD 214. For additional information or the application form, call 1-800-827-1000.

  • Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 trainees remember Direct Deposit became available to you for your educational assistance payments. If you are interested in signing up for direct deposit, you can sign up by mail or by telephone. VA's toll-free number is 1-877-838-2778. VA will need information which can be obtained from one of your personal checks so have it handy when you call us to sign up. If you wish to do this by mail, VA will need your financial institution's routing number (9 digit number - lower lift hand corner of check); your account number (Up to 17 positions in lower middle area of check); your account number (Up to 17 positions in lower middle area of check); and type of account (checking or savings), and the request should be mailed to P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888.

  • Veteran Students: If you have recently been notified you have had an overpayment created due to a change in your enrollment, you can request a waiver of the indebtedness via the Regional Processing Office Muskogee Waiver E-mail address at

In May 1999, the "Access America for Students" web site went live. It can be reached at The site is out to change the way that government does business with students continuing or planning to continue their education after high school. How? By opening up a private and secure Internet gateway to financial aid and other services students need. This provides links to U.S. government web sites where students can find information on everything from financing their education to student internships to filing their taxes online. Access America plans to roll out a wide range of pilot programs gradually over the next 2 years as tools and processes are tested and validated. By 2001, all program components should be available to schools that are ready to use them.

News for active duty military who are planning on separating from the military. In the past, military personnel had to wait until after they separated to file a claim for service-connected disability compensation through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The waiting time for the processing of claims can take from 4 to 6 months. Under a new pre-discharge program, soldiers will now be able to submit a claim 180 days prior to their separation or retirement date. This will provide the VA with ample time to schedule a comprehensive medical exam, rate the claim, and review the proposed rating with the service member prior to their release from active duty. At present in our region, there are sites established at Camp Pendleton, California; Randolph AFB, Texas; Lemoore Naval Air Station, California; and Fort Sill Army Base, Oklahoma.