Student Procedure for Contesting a Tax Refund Intercept
- If a student wants to appeal a tax refund interception for collection of past due amounts owed to Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC) in accordance with Title 68, Section 205.2 of the Oklahoma Statutes, the student may file a written request for appeal.
- Requests for appeal must be in writing and emailed to BursarAppeals@occc.edu within 60 days of the mailing date of the intercept notice sent to the student. Alternatively, written appeals may be timely delivered to the U.S. Postal Service address below. Failure to deliver a written appeal within 60 days waives the student’s opportunity to contest the claim for the tax refund.
- Upon receipt of a request for appeal, the OCCC Bursar’s Office normally contacts the student via telephone to discuss the balance owed as well as the documentation on file in support of the tax refund interception to pay the student’s debt.
- If the Bursar cannot reach the student or if the student does not withdraw the appeal in writing after speaking with the Bursar’s Office, an online hearing date will be set within 60 days of the student’s written request. Hearings are normally conducted on the last Monday of each month. The three-member hearing panel is comprised of committee members from Admissions, Records, and the Financial Aid Office .
- The Bursar will provide the student with written notice of the appeal hearing date, time, and place at the student’s last known address on file. Students are responsible for updating all current address information.
- The hearing notice shall further contain a short statement of the past due amounts owed and dates when the debts were incurred. Copies of OCCC’s records in support of the debts shall be made available to the student upon request.
- The hearing is for the sole purpose of determining the validity of the debt. Accordingly, supporting documentation and argument will be limited to this issue.
- Not less than five business days before the hearing the student shall provide all reasons and supporting documentation for the appeal in writing to the Bursar’s Office at BursarAppeals@occc.edu or delivered by the U.S. Postal Service at the address below. The hearing panel will not normally consider any untimely presented reasons or documentation unless such information could not have been reasonably known before the hearing or other extraordinary circumstances prevented timely submission.
- At hearing, the panel will allow the student no more than ten minutes to orally present the student’s reasons and documentation on appeal concerning the validity of the debt. The panel will receive both the Bursar’s and the student’s supporting evidence.
- Within ten days after the close of the hearing, the OCCC hearing panel shall confer privately and issue a written decision determining whether the Bursar’s decision to collect the debt is valid.
- The Bursar shall receive the decision and send a copy within one business day to the student by certified mail, return receipt requested, at the student’s last known address of record.
Written appeals and all appeal documents may be emailed or delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.
|U.S. Postal Address:||Oklahoma City Community College
Attention: Bursar Appeals
7777 S. May Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73159