Student Appeal of Charges
If a student feels that they have an extenuating circumstance that justifies an exception to the OCCC Bursar Refund Policy, they may file a Student Appeal of Charges with the OCCC Bursar Office.
CIRCUMSTANCES THAT SUPPORT SUBMITTING AN APPEAL
- Significant illness or injury that required the student to withdraw from the college*; or for unforeseen medical incapacitation.
- Significant illness or injury of an immediate family member that required the student to withdraw from the college*. Definition of immediate family: mother, father, brother, sister, child, spouse, domestic partner, or grandparent.
- Death of an immediate family member. Definition of immediate family: mother, father, brother, sister, child, spouse, domestic partner, grandparent.
- Military Duty – orders must accompany appeal.
- Mandatory change in work schedule that prevents student from attending class.
* The appeal submission must include a copy of the Health Documentation Form completed by the student’s licensed health professional.
CIRCUMSTANCES NOT SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT AN APPEAL:
- Not being aware of add/drop, refund deadlines; as these dates are widely publicized.
- Forgetting you were registered for classes.
- Lack of familiarity with student information systems.
- Insufficient financial aid and/or financial hardship.
- Dropping courses to avoid low grades.
- Deciding that school/work/life responsibilities are too overwhelming.
- Academic or disciplinary dismissal.
- Dissatisfaction with instructor or course content or determining that courses you took do not meet your academic and/or personal goals.
In order to be eligible to submit a Student Appeal of Charges, students must meet the following requirements:
- Appeals must be submitted online with required documentation
- Appeals can only be submitted for courses in which a student withdrew or dropped (a Student Appeal of Charges cannot be submitted for courses in which the student received a letter grade; i.e. A, B, C, D or F)
- Appeals must be submitted by the student (unless the student is unable to submit an appeal due to incapacitation).
- Appeals must be received no later than 120 days from the end of the term
Semester Deadline Fall Semester April 20th Spring Semester September 20th Summer Semester November 20th
Appeals filed more than 120 days after the semester in question will not be accepted or reviewed.
To be considered for a Student Appeal of Charges, students must submit the following:
- A completed Student Appeal of Charges Form
- Typed letter explaining the extenuating circumstances that explains an exception to the OCCC Bursar Refund Policy
- Documentation to support circumstances of the appeal.
Your Appeal will be reviewed by the Student Appeal of Charges Committee. You will be notified through your OCCC Email after the Committee has made a decision.
Student Appeal of Charges Committee Meetings:
|Appeal Meeting Date||Deadline to Submit Withdrawal Appeal|
|Last Monday of Every Month||Friday before meeting|
The appeal will be reviewed by a committee and the committee’s decision will be final.