Child Development Program
Director: Cecilia Pittman
Office: CU7-D Wellness Center
Telephone: 682-1611, Ext. 7159
Child Development is a growing field where practitioners are responsible for far more than keeping an eye on children in an away-from-home facility. This program focuses on theories and techniques for helping children grow physically, intellectually and emotionally. Students are responsible for providing the best possible environment for encouraging young children to reach their full potential.
Program opportunities include
- Eligible to apply for REWARD Oklahoma (salary supplement program).
- Achieve a level on the Oklahoma Registry Professional Development Ladder (this level depends on your degree option).
- Meet qualifications for the General Education and ECE/CD knowledge/skills requirements on the Oklahoma Registry Director's Credential (this level depends on your degree option).
Job opportunities include:
- Partially meet the job requirements for being a master teacher in a child care center.
- Assist in meeting two-star education requirements for a family child care home provider.
- Partially meet the job requirements for being a child care center director.
NATIONALLY ACCREDITED PROGRAM
The Child Development Program at OCCC earned the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Early Childhood Associate Degree Accreditation in 2009. Associate degree program accreditation recognizes excellence in preparing early childhood educators.