The Chemistry Faculty at Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC) is an active part of the Division of Science, Engineering and Mathematics. We seek to encourage an attitude of discovery and critical analysis along with a genuine interest in the sciences. We strive to offer a wide variety of introductory and second-year college science courses that not only challenge students' traditional views of science, but build scientific skills that create a sound foundation which students will use when viewing the world around them.
Our goal is to offer diversified science courses that are relevant and provide students the knowledge and experience to pursue further studies in the sciences or simply participate in a modern society dominated by science and technology. Our emphasis is on an understanding of modern scientific methodologies, including current methods of scientific experimentation, as well as up-to-date laboratory techniques and equipment.
Curriculum Programs Offered by the Chemistry Department
- Chemistry – Science with Chemistry Concentration
Through their experiences within the Division of Science, Engineering and Mathematics, students will:
- Gain critical knowledge in the areas of biology, chemistry, physics, and clinical research, and engineering
- Develop analysis and critical thinking skills required for success in scientific endeavors
- Explore individual scientific interests through expanded learning opportunities
- Actively and effectively participate in collaborative learning experiences as well as individual accountability to maximize academic and social growth
- Effectively utilize technology, such as computers and laboratory equipment, for learning, research, direct investigation, and experimental analysis
- Be encouraged to become involved in activities, such as clubs, field trips, enrichment classes etc., that enhance the understanding of the physical and natural sciences
- Relate and apply abstract concepts to concrete, real-world problems
- Become aware of the role and responsibility of the scientific community
- Prepare qualified students to successfully apply to professional health programs or undergraduate studies in science or health related fields