Echo: Coordination and Subordination
contains a subject + verb + complete idea.
contains a subject + verb, but not a complete thought.
|Independent Clause||, for||Independent Clause|
- I went to school, but I forgot to attend all my classes.
- George slipped on a banana peel, and Gracie said goodnight.
|Independent Clause||;||Independent Clause|
- Something struck Chicken Little in the head; she thought the sky was falling.
- Custer wasn't breathing; he was dead.
|; in deed,|
|Independent Clause||; in fact,||Independent Clause|
- I went to school early this morning; however, I forgot to attend all my classes.
- George started the car; then, he drove away.
|as (as if)|
|Independent Clause||that||Dependent Clause|
- I went to the grocery store after the rain stopped.
- James told me that he would feed my dog.
|That||Dependent Clause,||Independent Clause|
- Because he didn't like them, the little boy threw the peanuts away.
- While the cat's away, the mice will play.