Oklahoma City Community College offers students various types of support to foster successful academic outcomes. This support includes recognizing the needs of breastfeeding mothers by providing Lactation Rooms for students and employees. Returning to work or school can be tough for postpartum mothers. The OCCC Lactation Rooms are designed to ease some of that burden by providing a secure, comfortable space to nurse or express milk. The rooms are equipped with seating and side tables, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and electrical outlets for breast pumps.
The locations of the designated OCCC Lactation Rooms are 1) College Union Room 5 (adjacent to the main dining area) and 2) Health Professions Center, Room 148(A). Students and employees can access these rooms during regular College building hours. They do not need to reserve the space or pay a fee.
Students are encouraged to discuss any schedule concerns with their professors if there is a conflict with a class schedule and breastfeeding/pumping. OCCC is obligated to provide a location and a reasonable amount of time to accommodate breastfeeding/pumping to employees and students according to state laws and Title IX.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 ("Title IX") is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits, in educational programs and activities, discrimination on the basis of sex, which includes pregnancy and parental status. All public and private institutions of higher education that receive federal financial assistance must comply with this law. Title IX protects students in all of the academic, educational, extracurricular, athletic, and other programs or activities offered by the College.
For more information on breastfeeding or how to support a student or employee who is breastfeeding, please contact Jade Carter at email@example.com or (405) 682-7850.
Lactation Room Guidelines
In support of students and employees who are nursing mothers, College Union Room 5 and Health Professions Room 148(A) offer secure and private places for lactating mothers.
- These rooms are provided so that nursing mothers may have a comfortable and private place to express breast milk. Please do not use these rooms for any other purpose. Failure to comply with this rule can lead to a revocation of your access.
- Each space is not scheduled but is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. The door can only be locked from the inside. Do not knock on or unlock the door when the sign reads Occupied
- Please clean up after yourself and leave the rooms as clean as you found them. Violators may lose their access to these spaces.
- Do not leave any items in the room. The college is not responsible for materials you leave behind intentionally or by accident.
- Other individuals and acquaintances are not permitted to be in the room with you.
- If you notice that any of the supplies are running low, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org so that replacements can be secured before items run out.