Note: Close Alert Box

COVID-19 is a virus identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness that has spread globally into a pandemic. OCCC encourages you to learn more about COVID-19, health and safety precautions, and resources at:

OCCC Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus Reporting Form for Faculty and Staff

CDC Coronavirus Website

New Student Orientation Welcome

Associate Degree (AA/AS & AAS)
These are the types of degrees awarded by OCCC, or another community college, once a program of study has been completed. (Associate of Arts/Associate of Science & Associate of Applied Science). For more information about which degree is right for you, contact Academic Advising.

Students enrolled in college courses, but not seeking a degree or earning a grade.

This is a term used to address the office where a student pays for college expenses, such as tuition, fees, and other costs.

Campus Labs
There are several centers available that offer free services to all students with a student I.D. The available labs are: Math Lab, Accounting Lab, Writing Center, Biological Science and Physical Science Centers, and Computer Lab. Students who take advantage of campus labs tend to earn at least one letter grade higher than those who do not. Check out their websites for subject-specific resources and study tips.

CLEP Test (College Level Examination Program)
Students may test out of certain college level courses and receive college credit if they successfully pass a subject area exam. Contact the Test Center for more information.

Course Number
This is a four digit number designed for each college level class. The first number refers to a specific level (0= developmental, 1= first year, 2=sophomore). The last number tells how many credit hours the class is worth, once successfully passed. For example, 1483 signals a first-year course worth three credit hours. A complete list may be found in the course catalog.

Course Prefix
These are the letters that come before the course number to distinguish the academic field. Example: HIST=history, BIO=biology, etc. A complete list may be found in the course catalog.

This refers to students who are taking college courses at two or more institutions. For example, a student who is enrolled at OCCC and another college in the metro area.

Concurrent Enrollment
High school juniors and seniors who are enrolled in college classes and earning college course credit, while still completing high school diploma requirements.

Credit Hour
Each course is worth a certain number of credit hours, while each degree requires a specified total number of credit hours for completion. Typically a one credit hour is 50 minutes per week for 16 weeks each semester. A typical associate degree requires 61 credit hours.

Degree Plan
This is a list of required courses that must be completed to obtain an associate degree. Check with your academic advisor for a customized degree plan based on your major, or review several different degree plans if you are unsure of what you would like to major in.

Distance Education
Courses that are non-traditional. Options include tele-courses through live videos, online courses through the internet, or interactive television courses, similar to tele-courses. Distance education courses are designated in the semester course schedule book.

This is a grouping of academic areas based on degree type. The six academic divisions at Oklahoma City Community College are: Arts and Humanities, Business, Health Professions, Information Technology, Science and Mathematics, and Social Sciences. Several types of degrees are available in each division. For questions about a specific course or degree, visit the appropriate academic division office.

Double Major
A student who is earning a degree in two different academic fields of study. Students who double major complete the course requirements for two majors prior to graduation.

Drop Date
This is the last date that allows a student to drop a class without having a grade on record. Students who drop courses may still be responsible for related tuition and fees.

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
This is the application for students wishing to receive financial assistance while attending college, typically in the form of grants or student loans. It is available online at or in the Student Financial Services office.

Federal Work Study
This is a program funds part-time, on-campus employment to assist students with the costs of college tuition and fees. Work study funds are earned throughout the semester, not provided in one payment.

GDA (General Dining Area)
This is a place where students can eat, study, or relax between classes. It is the college's cafeteria and offers a wide variety of meal, snack and beverage options daily.

GED (General Education Development Diploma)
This is a diploma designed for students who did not receive a traditional high school diploma from a high school. It is equal to a high school diploma once completed. The GED requires a test to be taken that covers writing skills, math, social studies, science, literature, and the arts. Contact Testing and Assessment for more information.

GPA (Grade Point Average)
This is a combined numerical average of grades for each college credit course for each semester. Student records reflect both a current GPA (that semester only) and a cumulative GPA (total of all semesters).

These are financial awards, or free money, provided to students who apply for financial aid and/or scholarships. The money does not have to be paid back. Information can be found in the Recruitment and Admissions and Student Financial Services offices.

Courses that are between the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters and only last between two and three weeks. The course credit is the same as any full-semester course.

A designated academic program for students that requires a certain number of credit hours in a certain subject. Specific course requirements for each major can be found in the course catalog or Academic Advising website. Example: Elementary Education, Nursing, Biology, etc.

These are classes offered during the semester that last for only the second half of the semester (only 8 weeks). They carry the same credit as full-semester courses, but typically meet more frequently.

This is a website developed for enrolled students. It allows a student to view grades, request transcripts, update information, register for classes, etc. MineOnline can be accessed from OCCC's homepage. Log-in information is the same as that for student email (firstname.mi.lastname and last six digits of social security number).

Non-Credit Classes
These classes do not give course credit and do not appear on your academic transcript. Examples include fitness and wellness courses.

A course or series of courses required before a more advanced course may be taken. All courses are listed in the course catalog, along with any courses students are required to complete before taking that specific course. Talk with Academic Advising or the specific academic department for additional information.

Located within Records and Graduation Services, this office keeps track of all student records, including transcripts. Visit the ID desk to request free copies of your transcript.

Section Number
The section number relates to a specific time, day, and location for each class. A course may have many sections, but each specific class has its own section number. For example, HIST 1483-001 (section number) would refer to a specific day and time that the class meets. HIST 1483-002 would be the same course, but offered at a different day and time.

This is designed for students to connect classroom learning with real-world experiences. Service-learning is housed in the Student Life office and offers over 100 participating agencies for students completing service hours for a class requirement or their own interest. Some professors require service-learning as part of their coursework, but all students are encouraged to participate.

Each course has a set of objectives and classroom expectations that are prepared by the professor prior to the beginning of each class. This includes class assignments, test dates, and any other assignments that are required. It is a good idea to keep a copy of the syllabus for each course you take throughout college.

Testing & Assessment
This center is for students needing to take certain tests for college. This office offers placement tests, GED testing, CLEP testing, and TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Stop by the office for more information.

Test Center
The Test Center is an office where students enrolled in OCCC courses take tests related to the course requirements. A professor may direct an entire class of students to take a test during a set window of time, or a professor may send an individual student's test to the test center in case of extenuating circumstances. All students must have a student I.D. to enter the test center. Speak with your professor for questions regarding tests in your courses.

Transfer Student
This is a student who has completed college coursework at a particular institution and wishes to move that coursework credit to another college. OCCC offers a Transfer Center, located within Academic Advising, to assist students with the transfer process from OCCC to a four-year institution.

TRiO Student Support Services is a federal program funded by a grant from the United States Department of Education. This is a program created to promote persistence and success in college for eligible students. It is available to students with a mental or physical disability, first-generation college students, and low income college students. Stop by the TRiO office for information about participating in the program.

Tuition & Fees
Tuition is the cost of college credit hours and fees are the additional costs of college credit hours that are required for payment to the college. Tuition is charged per credit hour, so a one-credit course will have lower costs than a three-credit course. Students pay tuition and fees to the Bursar office on campus.

Withdraw ("W")
A "W" or withdraw shows that a student has dropped a class by the specific date (typically one week after the beginning of classes) and a "W" is recorded on a transcript, but does not count towards a student's GPA. Students may be eligible to receive a partial refund for course-related expenses. Specific dates are published in the semester course schedule book.

Zero Level Course
These courses are used for helping students gain the understanding and knowledge that is required for first-year level college credit courses. Zero level courses do not provide college credit, but they do have tuition and fees associated with them. These courses are typically required before taking more advanced courses at the college. Academic Advising will instruct students on which, if any, zero-level courses are required.