Note: Close Alert Box

COVID-19 is a virus identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness that has spread globally into a pandemic. OCCC encourages you to learn more about COVID-19, health and safety precautions, and resources at:

OCCC Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus Reporting Form for Faculty and Staff

CDC Coronavirus Website

Prospective FAQs


What should I do to get a student visa?

  1. Apply and be accepted to OCCC
  2. Receive your I-20 from OCCC
  3. Pay the SEVIS fee
  4. Fill out application for the DS-160 form
  5. Schedule your visa interview found on the website of your country’s US embassy
  6. Prepare for visa interview

Q: Can I bring my dependent with me to OCCC?
A: Yes. Make sure you have submitted your dependents passport, visa, and proof of dependency to your DSO. Your DSO will then make a new I-20 for your dependent and will send both I-20s to you at the same time.

Q: How do I receive an I-20?
A: Once accepted to OCCC, your DSO will issue a Form I-20 for you.

Q: How should I prepare for my trip to the United States?
A: Familiarize yourself with the different kinds of documents you might need. It is a good idea to keep your original copies with you at all times. Do not put them in your checked baggage.

Documents needed:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Valid U.S. Visa
  3. Form I-20
  4. Proof of I-901 fee payment

What should I do once I arrive?

  1. Report to OCCC by going to Admissions and Recruitment at normal business hours of 8am to 5pm from Monday to Friday.
  2. After you have been enrolled in classes, you will fill in this mandatory check in form.
  3. Attend our mandatory orientation along with enrolling in classes.
  4. Begin attending classes and get to know your peers!

Q: How do I obtain a Social Security Number?
A: To secure a SSN number you will have to secure an on campus job. Once you have secured a job, you will then fill out this form to get a letter from your DSO for a SSN number. You will then bring the letter and your hiring letter to the Social Security Administration office to secure a number.

Return to top


What is the minimum TOEFL score required for admission?

Meet one of the following requirements:

  1. Score a minimum of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL, 173 on the computer-based TOEFL, 61 on the internet-based TOEFL (IBT), or 5.5 on the IELTS.
  2. 460 or higher on paper-based TOEFL or 48 internet-based TOEFL or 5.0 or higher on the IELTS Prior to…  Minimum of 12 weeks of intensive English language study at an approved Oklahoma institution. At least two-thirds of the 12 weeks must be instruction at an advanced level.
  3. Submit an official transcript reflecting 24 completed college hours of accredited college work at a college or university in the United States.
  4. Submit an official U.S. high school transcript, with date of graduation, which indicates that all curricular requirements have been met. A list of curricular requirements is available from the Admissions Office.

Q: Should my documents be translated into English or stay in the original language?
A: All documents must be translated into English.

Q: Do I need to take an English proficiency test?
A: All international students are required to take an English proficiency test.

Q: I want to study in the United States, but my English proficiency is not good enough yet. What can I do?
A: There are a number of programs for English language study opportunities in Oklahoma  .

Q: Are there age limitations to attend U.S. universities?
A: In general, you must have completed high school and you must be at least 17 years of age.

Return to top


Q: Do I need health insurance?
A: OCCC does not require you to carry health insurance, however it is encouraged that you purchase health insurance while studying in the United States.

Q: How large are classes?
A: Average class size at OCCC is 20 students.

Q: Do students live on campus?
A: No, OCCC does not offer student housing.

Q: Can International students work while in the United States?
A: International students are allowed to work 20 hours a week with on-campus employment. However, students are not allowed to work off-campus.

Q: How many degree options does OCCC offer?
A: OCCC offers over 80 degree options for students.

Q: What is the difference between a college and a university?
A: Colleges offer Associates degrees while universities offer undergraduate and graduate degrees.  Associates degrees allow you to work for one year after completion and then for your records to transfer to a University, saving you thousands of dollars.

Q: What is the academic calendar for colleges in the United States?
A: In Oklahoma, the academic year usually runs from August through May with breaks for holidays. You can see our academic calendar .

Q: What is the difference between "Associate" and "Undergraduate" degrees?
A: Associate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree.  Undergraduate programs lead to a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

Q: Can I transfer to a U.S. university from a university outside of the United States?
A: Yes, although you may lose some credits and require extra time to complete your degree. You can go through our third party evaluators to have your credits evaluated.

Q: Why should I attend community college?
A: Community colleges offer lower costs, easier admission policies, close ties to state 4- year schools, and many of the required courses will transfer to an Undergraduate degree. International students also are able to work for one year extra in the USA by getting an Associate’s degree first.

Q: How do you transfer from a community college to a four-year university?
A: The transfer process varies for each school. It is best to apply to the four-year institution early. Once you know where you will transfer out, you will then fill out an easy online form to have your SEVIS record transferred.

Q: How can I find out if an institution is accredited?
A: Search the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Post-secondary Education website to see if an institution is accredited.

Q: What is the credit system in U.S. universities?
A: A credit is a value assigned to each course, which reflects the number of hours the class will meet with the professor each week. Most classes at OCCC are 3 credit hours.  To be a full time student, you must be enrolled in 12 hours, which would be 4 classes as semester if each class was 3 hours.

Q: What is a GPA?
A: Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student's academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.

Q: What is the U.S. grading system?
A: Letter grades indicate a student's academic performance. Each letter grade has a numeric value, which is used to calculate a GPA, on a scale of 0.0 to 4.0.

Grade options: A (excellent)=4.0  B (above average)=3.0  C= (average)= 2.0  D(below average)= 1.0  F(failing)=0.0

Q: How are grades determined in U.S. universities?
A: Quizzes, midterms, final exams, papers, projects, class attendance, and class participation typically determine Grades.

Q: What kind of majors are offered at OCCC?
A: /catalog/index.html

Return to top