Note: Close Alert Box

COVID-19 is a virus identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness that has spread globally into a pandemic. OCCC encourages you to learn more about COVID-19, health and safety precautions, and resources at:

OCCC Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus Reporting Form for Faculty and Staff

CDC Coronavirus Website

Current FAQs


Q. What do I have to do to maintain my visa status?
A. Enroll in 12 credit hours in fall and spring semester, 9 of which must be in traditional, in-class and on campus. If summer is your first semester, you must enroll in 6 hours; otherwise, it will be optional. Classes taken for audit (AU) or withdrawn/administrative withdraw (W/AW) will NOT count towards full-time enrollment. You must talk to a DSO before you drop any courses under any circumstances.

Q. My visa is about to expire, do I need to renew it?
A. As long as your Passport is valid, your I-20 is active and you are in good status and you stay within the United States and you are not required to renew your visa.

Q. My Passport is about to expire, do I need to renew it?
A. Yes. Without a valid Passport, you are technically not here legally. You will also not be able to travel outside of the United States or re-enter.

Q. I would like my family to attend my graduation. How do I invite someone to join me for my graduation?
A. To invite family into the USA, please fill out the Invitation Form.

Q. I am planning to travel outside of the United States, do I need approval?
A. Yes. You must obtain a travel signature from your DSO in order to travel outside of the United States. Without this signature, you may not be able to re-enter the United States once you have left. You will also need an active visa to reenter the USA.

Q.I would like to apply for an on-campus job, what do I need to do?
A. Please follow the instructions on the On campus PowerPoint.

Q. I have had medical issues this semester and am unable to go to school, what should I do?
A. If you have seen a doctor and have a letter that you are unable to attend classes due to a medical issue you can apply for a Reduced Course Load. The first step is to fill out the Reduce Course Load Form. Following your completion of the form, you will schedule a meeting with your DSO to discuss the circumstances at hand.

Q. I would like to transfer out of OCCC. What is the process?
A. To inquire about the transfer process to a different institution, the first step is to contact the admissions office of the school that you are considering. You will need to apply and be accepted to that institution. Once you are accepted, please fill out the SEVIS Transfer Release form found under Immigration Forms.

Return to top


Q. What is a GPA?
A. Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student’s academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.

Q. What scholarships are available?
A. The scholarships available can be found on the OCCC website under the OCCC Foundation and external opportunities.

Q: How can I get an official transcript?
A. Visit Records Office, or request online.

Q: When is the deadline for tuition?
A: For information on tuition cost, payment plans and deadlines please become familiar with this website

Return to top

General Questions:

Q: What is a DSO?
A. A DSO stands for a Designated School Official. This is the individual at your school who is responsible for reporting your attendance, non attendance, work authorization, major changes, address changes and many other duties to the Department of Homeland Security. These are also the individuals who make you your I-20’s.

Q: Are there volunteer opportunities for students?
A. Yes! The Office of Student Life on campus has several volunteer opportunities for students. Visit the college website to see the list!

Q: How do I contact OCCC departments?
A: /aboutus/contactus.html

Q: Am I required to update my address or major changes to anyone in the USA?
A: Yes, you must update your DSO with these changes within 10 days of any change.

Q: I have changed my major/moved to a different address, how do I update with OCCC?
A: Fill out “Change of Address Reporting” “Change of Major”.

Q: I am transferring out of OCCC. How can I research Transfer Equivalency?

Q: I would like to transfer credits that I earned outside of the USA. How can I do evaluation?
A. /get/international.html

Return to top


Can I work in the United States?

  1. Yes, as an international student you can work up to 20 hours a week ON-CAMPUS
  2. If you want to work off campus you can participate in something called Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  3. Please visit this site to see information on on-campus and off campus work
Return to top