Commencement 2023 will be hosted on the OCCC campus at the Visual and Performing Arts Center (VPAC) on Saturday, May 13th.
We will be hosting division specific ceremonies at the following times:
- 10 a.m. Science, Engineering, and Math & Associate in Science in Diversified Studies
- 1 p.m. Arts, English, and Humanities
- 4 p.m. Business and Information Technology & Social Sciences
- Health Professions Pinning’s/Commencement hosted by Health Professions Division May 11th
Last Steps to prepare:
- Caps & Gowns: If you have not yet purchased your black cap & gown through the OCCC Bookstore, they are still available for purchase. Costs are $49.99 for the cap, gown, and tassel. These are available now in the store or online here: http://bookstore.occc.edu/home.aspx. While they will be for sale through Friday, May 12th, we recommend purchasing yours early so you’re able to iron or hang it up ahead of time to avoid wrinkles.
- Tickets for Family & Friends: Tickets will be required for family and friends in order to celebrate you in the VPAC theater. If you have family and friends that would like to celebrate with you but will not have a ticket, we will have overflow seating outside of the theater where they can view the ceremony on a tv screen. We will have fun yard games as well as food trucks they can enjoy with you after the ceremony. Don’t forget to stop by the food trucks after your ceremony! Grads-your meal is on us as a small way to say Congrats! There will be a food truck voucher you’ll pick up as you exit the theater and will be able to choose which truck to try!
- Parking & Arrival: There will be signs to direct your guests to the VPAC once on the OCCC Campus, however, we recommend parking in lots C or D for easiest access to the theater! Please be sure to tell your guests that they must be in the theater prior to the start time of the ceremony as late seating will not be allowed.
- Live Stream: Invite your family and friends who are unable to attend to watch the livestream event at occc.edu.
- Candid Color: You should have received an email from Candid Color, the photographers that will be at Commencement, asking you to register for the ceremony. They are asking you to upload a selfie at the time of registration which will help get your photos to you faster! These photo’s will be available for purchase after the ceremony.
Lastly, let the Records and Graduation office know if you or your guest needs any special accommodations no later than Friday, May 5th. If you have any questions, please call 405-682-1611, ext. 7470.
GUIDELINES FOR GRADUATES – PLEASE READ COMPLETELY!
Commencement will be held on the OCCC campus at the Visual and Performing Arts Center (VPAC). Graduates should plan to arrive with their robes for check-in 45 minutes prior to the start of your Commencement ceremony (9:15 a.m. for 10 a.m. ceremony, 12:15 for 1 p.m. ceremony, 3:15 for 4 p.m. ceremony).
Please read the following guidelines below completely!
- Graduates are required to wear black caps and gowns for Commencement. You must purchase your cap and gown package at the bookstore before the ceremony.
- If you wear your gown straight out of the package, it will be wrinkled. We recommend ironing yours or at a minimum hanging your gown ahead of time.
- We recommend wearing dark-colored dress clothes under your gown. Wear dark-colored, formal shoes that are comfortable for walking. You will be walking and standing for prolonged periods.
- Wear your cap so the mortarboard is flat on your head, not tilted. Your tassel should hang on the right.
- When you arrive, you must obtain your name card at the check-in station designated by your last name. Check the card to make sure your name is correct.
- Your name card is very important. Do not lose or destroy your card. You will give this card to the reader to announce your name as you walk across stage.
- If you would like to clarify the pronunciation of your name, speak to the reader prior to the lineup. The reader will be stationed in front of the robing room.
- 20 minutes before the ceremony, Commencement Marshals will arrive to organize graduates for the processional. Graduates will be instructed to make two parallel lines.
- When it is time to begin, the marshals will lead the lines of graduates out of the robing room to the theater entrance.
- The Processional music will begin, and the Marshals will lead you to your seats in the arena.
- Please be aware that we cannot guarantee preferred seating arrangements. What we can tell you is if you want to sit next to a certain graduate, this person should stand directly in front or behind you during lineup.
- Remain standing once you have arrived at your seat. There will be an invocation, and then you will be instructed to take your seat.
- The college designee will ask graduates for the various degrees to stand. The President will announce graduates for conferral. You will move your tassel from the right side to the left.
- Everyone will cheer!
- After the conferral is announced, all graduates except the first row will be seated. Marshals will begin leading the first row out to the stage. Marshals will continue to direct graduates to the stage row by row until all graduates have walked.
- When it is approaching your turn to go on stage, you will hand your name card to the reader. Marshals will guide you onto the stage.
- Once on stage, you will be given a diploma cover. Your diploma will not be in the cover. Diplomas are mailed directly to you.
- Next, you will walk across the stage and have your picture taken with the President. You will then exit the stage. A marshal will then direct you to the photography station for a professional photo. You will then be led back to your original row.
- At the end of the ceremony, the Marshals will lead you out of the theater at which time you can return to the robing area or find your family/friends to celebrate! Don’t forget to use your food truck voucher for a free meal!