Forty-three years ago, Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC) congratulated its very first graduates, a group of only five students who received their associate degrees in May 1973. This year, OCCC alumni, faculty, family and friends will celebrate with over 2,100 OCCC graduates at the 43rd annual Commencement Ceremony to be held Friday, May 13, at the Cox Convention Center at 7:30 p.m.
The ceremony will recognize students receiving degrees or certificates, the majority in the fields of nursing, diversified studies and business. The keynote speaker for the commencement ceremony is United States Congressman Steve Russell.
In addition, several OCCC programs will have standalone graduation activities as well. All of these activities will occur on the OCCC campus.
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Pinning: Saturday, May 7, 1 p.m. in the Bruce Owen Theater
- Traditional Nursing Pinning: Thursday, May 12, 6 p.m. in the Visual and Performing Arts Center
- Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Pinning: Saturday, May 14, 1 p.m. in the Bruce Owen Theater, reception to follow in the Health Professions Center, room HP 101, PTA Classroom
- Occupational Therapist Assistant Pinning: Saturday, May 14, 4 p.m. in the Bruce Owen Theater
- Scholars for Excellence in Child Care Pinning: Friday, May 20, 7 p.m. in the College Union, rooms CU2 and CU3
Each year since 1991, OCCC has awarded a full-time faculty member with the President’s Award of Excellence in Teaching during the commencement ceremony. This faculty member is one who exemplifies exceptional teaching and:
- a high degree of professional competence exhibited by knowledge and expertise, extensive and current
- effective teaching methods that demonstrate quality, creativity and resourcefulness as well as clear, accurate and effective communication
- enthusiasm and a strong commitment to teaching in general and a genuine concern, commitment and fairness to students
- contribution to the teaching profession at the institutional, state or national level
The college was recently named as one of the top 100 Associate Degree Producers in the nation by Community College Week magazine. Over the past several years, OCCC has seen yearly increases in the number of graduates.
For more information on OCCC’s commencement ceremony, please contact Records and Graduation Services at (405) 682-1611 ext. 7512.
OCCC enrolls more than 20,000 students and has more than 90,000 participants in its various community programs annually. OCCC offers a full range of associate degree programs that prepare students to transfer to baccalaureate institutions while other degree and certificate programs prepare students for immediate employment. At OCCC, students receive a quality education with small class sizes, dedicated professors and leadership opportunities. Students can choose from more than 80 major fields of study and participate in any of the 40+ clubs and organizations. For more information about OCCC, visit www.occc.edu.