Civic Honors and Service Learning
Students participating in the Civic Honors program gain insight and experience about
societal needs through civic involvement and develop leadership skills which can be
used as a future leader in the community. The Civic Honors Program at OCCC recognizes
students who demonstrate an outstanding commitment to both civic involvement and personal
life skill development. Requirements:
- Apply for the program with the Office of Student Life.
- Complete and document a required number of hours of service at an approved agency.
- Have one (1) Mentor Session with a Student Life staff member.
- Create a portfolio with beneficial items for future educational and career endeavors.
- Complete a reflective project over the entire Service-Learning experience.
- Submit completed portfolio and project, and arrange a final review appointment with
Student Life staff for an assessment of the program.
OCCC has partnerships with more than 140 designated non-profit agencies that have
a continuous need for volunteers. Volunteering and Service -Learning are great opportunities
to participate within the community and learn outside the classroom environment. Stop
by the Office of Student Life or go to our website and check under the Service Learning
tab (https://www.occc.edu/studentlife/civichonors.html) for a Service-Learning guide containing descriptions of all the volunteer opportunities
and contact information for each agency, timesheets for proof of service, and OCCC
liability waivers for Service Learning. Student Life also plans numerous service days
each semester. Register for scheduled Service Learning sessions through the Student
Life website under Service Day Registration. Some classes require documentation of
Service Learning, timesheets that provide documentation may be picked up in Student
Life at our Service Learning Center.
www.occc.edu/studentlife/studentinformation.html • (405) 682-7523