ProctorU Instructions for Students
Getting Started and Setting Up an Exam Using ProctorU
ProctorU is an online exam proctoring service that allows students to take test in a in a variety of locations outside of the classroom. ProctorU gives instructors the ability to monitor the exams given or have proctors monitor those exams by watching recordings. The students are able to log in and use their camera and webcam in a private, well-lit room. The student’s identity will be verified by having the student present an ID for verification that a proctor will later review. The exam screen and the student are recorded throughout the duration of the exam. The exams are also recorded so the instructor can review the exam activity of the student.
OCCC is using ProctorU Record+ services for proctoring exams in Moodle.
As a student, you will need to take the following steps take exams that use ProctorU:
Install the ProctorU Plugin
- To use ProctorU in your courses, you must first create an account and install the Chrome or Firefox browser plugin.
Creating a ProctorU account – PDF
Beginning Your Exam
- Log in to Moodle
- Pre-checks: If you don’t already have the ProctorU extension, you’ll be prompted to download it. You’ll be required to accept exam guidelines and terms of service. The browser will prompt you to share your screen, a required part of being proctored online. You’ll be automatically guided through a series of equipment checks to make sure your system meets minimum requirements.
- Photos & Authentication: You’ll take a photo of yourself as well as your I.D. for identity verification purposes. Depending on the level of verification required by your institution, you may be asked to answer a series of randomly generated, public record challenge questions. You may also be required to type out a paragraph of text that will be checked against a pre-existing typing test that you would have been asked to complete prior to exam day. Both of these are optional measures selected by your instructor or institution.
- Exam Rule Acceptance: You will be required to review and accept the exam rules outlined by your instructor or institution.
- Take Your Exam: The system will review how to get assistance during your exam and you can click the button to begin your exam when you’re ready.
NOTE: Your webcam view and your screen will be recorded through the duration of your exam.
Having Issues? Check here for assistance.
- Use the ProctorU System Check to identify and troubleshoot any issues before you begin testing.
ProctorU System Check
- If your system meets the requirements but you are encountering issues, try clearing your browser's cache:
Clearing cache in Chrome
Clearing cache in Firefox
- After clearing your cache, restart your computer and attempt to begin your exam again.
If these steps do not resolve your issues, please contact the Center of Learning and Teaching for support.