ATTENTION! Close Alert Box

Coronavirus Update (COVID-19) OCCC will deliver all summer classes online. The OCCC Main Campus will reopen June 1. All other sites remain closed. Individuals entering the building will be required to wear a face mask. Most campus services are still available online. To view current hours for campus departments and services, visit 
Learn more at

College Terms


An advisor in the Office of Academic Advising and your faculty advisor work with you to create a personalized education plan.

Associate Degree

An associate degree is a two-year degree requiring a minimum of 60 credit hours. Once you complete your associate degree, you may choose to continue your education and earn a bachelor’s degree.


Auditing gives you the opportunity to participate in a course without concern for credits or grades. You still have to pay the same enrollment fee as regular students.

Bachelor’s Degree

A bachelor’s degree is a four-year degree requiring a minimum of 60 credit hours above the associate.

Class Standing

Your class standing is determined by how many hours you have completed. Typically, you are:

   • a freshman until you complete 30 hours

   • a sophomore until you complete 60 hours

   • a junior until you complete 90 hours

   • a senior until you graduate


If you pass the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test for a certain subject area, you can earn college credit without having to enroll in the course.

Course Load

Your course load is the number of credit hours taken per semester.


When you take 12 credit hours or more per semester (except for fall), you are a full-time student. You are considered part-time if you take less than 12 credit hours per semester.


You qualify to graduate once you complete all the necessary classes that your degree program requires. Be sure to check the academic calendar for graduation application deadlines.

Honor Roll *

Students who achieve a GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.5 or higher are placed on the honor roll.

Learning Lab

You can get extra help with writing, reading, study skills, modern languages, accounting, math, science or computers in the college’s learning labs.


This online system helps you enroll and access your student records, such as financial aid, transcripts, grades, etc.

Non-Credit Classes

Non-credit classes are primarily designed for personal enrichment, professional development and continuing education. Non-credit classes are not part of an associate degree.


Some classes require you to complete another class or training prior to enrolling in that class.

President’s Honor Roll

If you earn a 4.0 GPA and have taken at least 12 credit hours, you will be placed on the President’s honor roll.


Your professor will provide you with a syllabus that tells you what you will be taught, your homework schedule, how he/she grades, important telephone numbers, e-mail address and office hours.


A transcript is an official document listing all the classes you have taken and the grade you have earned for each. Transcripts are available in the Office of Records and Registration. You can also request your transcript online by going to MineOnline,, and clicking on the “Current Students” link.

Withdrawal “W”

You officially withdraw from a class by submitting a drop form in the Office of Records and Registration, or by dropping the class on MineOnline. Withdrawals don’t count toward your GPA. However, withdrawals may negatively impact your eligibility for federal student financial assistance. Remember, there is a deadline for withdrawing for each semester or term. Your professors can’t drop you from any class.

Withdrawal Date

Each semester or term has a final date to withdraw from a class without having a grade. See the academic calendar on page 6 for withdrawal dates. Students who are recipients of federal student financial assistance and totally withdraw from their courses prior to the 60% point in a semester may have to repay a portion of the funds they received for tuition, fees, and any refund disbursed to you. Students taking courses that do not span the entire length of the semester are considered a withdrawal if they do not complete all days they are scheduled to complete within the semester.

* Part-time students are required to maintain this standard for two consecutive semesters.