OCCC Announces 2014-2015 Future Teachers Scholarship
Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC) is pleased to announce that applications are now available for the 2014-2015 Future Teachers Scholarship program established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.
The program is an incentive to encourage the preparation of teachers in critical shortage areas in Oklahoma Public Schools which include: science, mathematics, foreign languages, social studies, school counselor, business, special education, school psychologist, English, elementary education, early childhood education and physical education/health.
Students at OCCC are advised to download the application from www.occc.edu/scholarships and submit their completed scholarship application to the OCCC Office of Recruitment and Admissions. The application deadline for OCCC students is May 30.
Future Teachers Scholarship Eligibility:
1. The student must be a resident of Oklahoma.
2. The student must be nominated by the college/university on the basis of one of the following criteria:
A. Cumulative high school grade point average ranking in the top 15% of his or her high school graduating class; OR
B. ACT or SAT score ranking in the top 15% for high school graduates of the same year; OR
C. Admission to a professional education program at an accredited Oklahoma institution of higher education; OR
D. An undergraduate record of outstanding success, as defined by the college/university.
3. Full-time and part-time students are eligible for the scholarship; however, highest priority will be given to full-time students.
4. Scholarship recipients must maintain no less than a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
5. Each recipient must agree to teach in a shortage area in Oklahoma public schools for a minimum of three (3) consecutive years upon graduation and licensure as a teacher.
6. Recipients may receive the scholarship for no more than four years, or the equivalent of four years of full-time study.
Amount of Scholarship Awards:
An award amount for each nominated student is $1000 for full-time study and $500 for part-time study.
For purposes of this program, full-time enrollment means not less than 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduates and not less than 9 credit hours per semester for graduate students. Part-time enrollment means not less than 6 credit hours per semester.
Payment of Scholarship Awards
Upon enrollment and grade point average verification by OCCC, the first payment of each recipient's award will be distributed during the fall semester; the second distribution will be during the spring semester. The award will be paid directly to the college/university on the student's behalf.
For more information about the Future Teachers Scholarship at OCCC, visit www.occc.edu/scholarships, or email email@example.com.