Release of Academic Information

Release of Academic Information

Change of Name, Address or Telephone Number

Students who wish to change the name, mailing address, or telephone number may do so by notifying the Office of Records. Appropriate documentation will be required for any name change. Address changes may also be made through the student portal. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the College of any change of address. Communication from the College that is mailed to the name and address on record is considered to have been properly delivered.

Release of Academic Information

Academic information for each student is on file in the Office of Records. It will be released to third parties only upon the written request of the student or in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Official transcripts may be obtained in person on request at no charge. Students may also request and receive letters of good standing, verification of enrollment and other academic documentation. For further information, contact the Office of Records and Graduation Services.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy ACT (FERPA)

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that permits students certain rights with respect to their education records. A student’s rights under FERPA include the following:

  • The right to inspect and review education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriated official, a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College Official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College Official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. A student who wishes to ask the College to amend a record should write the College Official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested, the College will notify the student in writing of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records. Students may authorize disclosure of educational records to a designated person, such as a spouse or family member, by submitting an Authorization to Release form to the office of the Records and Registrar.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Complaints must be submitted by written letter within 180 days of the date in which an alleged violation of educational privacy rights occurred, or within 180 days in which the complainant knew or reasonably knew of the violation. Complaints should be sent to the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-5920.

Definition of Educational Record

An “educational record” is defined as a record related to a student and that is maintained by an educational institution or a party acting for or on behalf of the institution. Educational records include but are not limited to grades, transcripts, class lists, scholarship application information, student course schedules, student financial information, and student discipline files.

Educational records do not include sole possession documents (such as personal notes created by individual faculty/staff as a memory aid); law enforcement records; employment records that exclusively relate to an individual’s employment capacity and not their student status; medical records; and records including information created after an individual is no longer a student at that institution (such as alumni records).

Disclosure of Educational Records Without Prior Consent

Subject to specific requirements of FERPA, OCCC may disclose student educational records without prior consent:

  • To “School Officials” who have a “legitimate educational interest.” A school official is defined as a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using College employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, information technology contractor, consultant, or collection agent); a person serving on the Oklahoma State Board of Regents or the Oklahoma City Community College Board of Regents; or a designated volunteer, student, or non- employee designated to serve as a school official with a legitimate educational interest, such as in service to disciplinary or grievance committees, or in assisting other school officials in performing their tasks. School Officials are generally considered to a have a “legitimate educational interest” if they need to review an education record in order to fulfill their professional responsibilities for the College.
  • To transfer schools in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • To specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes
  • To appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student.
  • To organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school.
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions.
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.
  • To appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies.
  • To other individuals and entities when specifically permitted by FERPA.

Directory Information

Oklahoma City Community College may provide “directory information” in accordance with the provisions of FERPA. Directory information is defined as that information which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Designated directory information at Oklahoma City Community College includes the following:

  • Name
  • Address (defined as City and State or Country of Residence)
  • Phone number
  • College email address
  • Photograph
  • Major field of study and degree program
  • Dates of attendance (defined as first and last date of term),
  • Grade level, enrollment status (full-time or part-time),
  • Participation in officially recognized activities or sports, degrees, honors and awards received,
  • Educational institution most recently attended before admission to OCCC.

Requests to Block Release of Directory Information

Students may block the public disclosure of directory information by notifying the Office of Records and Registrar in writing at any time. A non-disclosure block will require Oklahoma City Community College to refrain from releasing any or all directory information both while the student is active at OCCC and once the student has left the college until lifted. While a non-disclosure block is in effect, OCCC will consequently refuse requests for directory information.

Oklahoma City Community College accepts no responsibility to contact students regarding directory information requests and assumes no liability as a result of honoring a student’s instructions that directory information be withheld. The non-disclosure block will only be lifted when the student has submitted a written request to remove it from his or her record.