How to Apply for Financial Assistance

How to Apply for Financial Aid


Apply online at:

You will need your social security number or your alien registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen, federal income tax information, and any records of untaxed income.

If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) will need to provide this same information.

You should apply before March 1st to be considered for state grants.

If possible, first file your Federal Income Tax Return and import your tax data directly into your FAFSA.

After your FAFSA is processed FAFSA will send you an email with information on how to view your Student Aid Report (SAR).

The Financial Aid Office at OCCC will also send you an email, so be sure to check you OCCC email regularly.

Login to your MineOnline to view your financial aid status at:OCCC Login


Federal Student Aid randomly selects a percentage of FAFSAs for Verification. The Financial Aid Office notifies all selected students by email, requesting the required documents. Students should submit missing documents as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing their financial aid.

Documents that may be required:

  • 2015 Federal Tax Return Transcript
  • 2015 W-2 and/or 1099 forms
  • Verification Forms (Dependent or Independent)
  • Proof of High school completion or the equivalent
  • Proof of Identity- You must appear in-person to the Financial Aid Office and present a valid government issued photo ID, such as a driver license, state issued photo ID, military ID or passport. 
  • Certifying Statement of Educational Purpose indicating that the 2016-2017 Federal Student Financial Aid received will only be used to pay the cost of attending OCCC. Students who are unable to appear in-person must provide a copy of a valid government issued ID with a notarized statement of educational purpose.

What happens next?

Award notifications are sent to students' OCCC email and they can review their financial aid awards on their Mine Online Web Advisor for Students. OCCC Login .

The Financial Aid Office does not award or disburse Federal or State Student Aid funds until Verification is complete.

Tax Filing Extension:

If a student or parent(s) has been granted an IRS filing extension, submit IRS form 4868 and contact the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid office will request alternate documents, such as, W-2 and/or 1099 forms and a signed statement of AGI.


Students who may be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant must have a FASFA on file with the OCCC Financial Aid Office with a calculated EFC by their last date of enrollment for the academic year or June 30th whichever comes first. If Verification is required, students must complete verification within 120 days of their last date of enrollment  to receive payment for attempted courses.


Applicants for Federal Title IV Student Financial Aid at OCCC who are selected for verification may be exempt from this requirement if certain documented circumstances exist, such as:
- Applicant Dies
- Applicant only eligible for Unsubsidized Assistance
- Parents unavailable or deceased
- Spouse unavailable or deceased
- Student selected for verification after all funds are disbursed and student is no longer enrolled
Students who meet one of these criteria must contact the Financial Aid Office and document their circumstance. Due to the availability and use of electronic processes the Financial Aid Office does not consider most cases of parent or spouse unavailability.