History of the College
Oklahoma City Community College: Built for Student Success
Oklahoma City Community College was built for student success.
More than 40 years ago, our founders had a dream to have thousands of students walk through our doors each year. Today, that dream has become reality, making OCCC the fourth largest higher education institution in Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Community College: Student-Centered and Student-Driven
At Oklahoma City Community College, every day, in every department, our students come first. It’s not just our vision; it’s our mission.
OCCC Academic Advisors are available to aid in the application and admissions process as well as to lead students to enroll in the classes that will help them achieve their career goals. Likewise, the OCCC Financial Aid department walks students through the student loan, grant and scholarship opportunities that can ease the stress of paying for a college education.
We realize that our student body is made up of all ages, races and income levels. That diversity reflects our view that we are here to serve all students.
Some students come to pursue one of our associate degree programs that will prepare them to transfer and continue work toward their bachelor’s degrees. As they approach graduation, OCCC routinely hosts representatives from Oklahoma’s four-year colleges and universities to ease the transition process.
Other OCCC students share the simple hope of learning new skills to help them advance in their career fields. They can do this through our certificate of mastery programs – quick, turn-around programs that get them in the classroom and back to the workforce immediately.
We are proud of the OCCC student-faculty ratio of 29 to 1. That gives our faculty members the opportunity to show each student personal attention, leading to the very best academic outcomes. But it doesn’t stop there.
Oklahoma City Community College faculty members also guide students in building professional networks in their career fields; this can only happen when professors maintain real-world experience in their subject matter and stay connected with businesses and industry in our community. We are proud to say that our professors work diligently to not only teach our students but to mentor them as well.
In addition, OCCC offers a wide range of community and continuing education courses, workshops, conferences and seminars. We work hard to be a hub of knowledge for Oklahoma City and the surrounding areas.
Oklahoma City Community College aspires, through bold and transformative action, to significantly raise the educational achievement of all our students and to be an indispensable pathway to a more prosperous and fulfilling future.
Our Big Goals
- Increase the number of our students who complete a certificate or degree by 50%.
- Close the academic achievement gaps that persist with our low-income, first - generation, and some racial and ethnic groups.
- Double annual giving to support student scholarships, community events, and the endowment. What is a "Big Goal?" It's a goal that can't be achieved with the status quo. A "Big Goal" can only be accomplished by innovating, collaborating with groups within and outside the institution, stopping certain practices while beginning others, and a willingness to take risks.
Oklahoma City Community College Mission Statement
OCCC provides broad access to learning that empowers students to complete a certificate or degree and that enriches the lives of everyone in our community.
Our Mission Statement describes why we exist and what we do. Traditionally, community colleges have been about providing access. But it's not enough that students pass through our doors -- earning a certificate or degree is what changes lives.
The Oklahoma City Community College ENDs statements describe what success looks like if we were in an ideal world.
As such, they are central to our commitment to accountability. Measures that evaluate the College's progress in achieving our ENDs regularly reviewed by the faculty, staff and the Board of Regents. These core indicators are part of our annual plans and are reported at least once a year.
- Access: Our community has broad and equitable access to both highly valued certificate and degree programs and non-credit educational opportunities and events.
- College Readiness: Our students develop skills and knowledge required to succeed in college.
- Student Success: Our students successfully complete their academic courses, persist in college, and earn certificates or degrees at OCCC or another institution.
- Graduate Success: Our graduates go on to earn higher-level degrees or are successful in technical or professional careers.
- Community Development: Our community’s quality of life is enriched through our educational, artistic and recreational programs and events.
Oklahoma City Community College Values
- Students: Fundamental to all that we do
- Safety: Safe and secure environment for everyone
- Accountability: Use of evidence to measure performance and to make decisions
- Stewardship: Wise and efficient use of resources
- Integrity: Honest, ethical, and respectful to all
- Innovation: Creative and forward thinking
- Diversity: Embrace and appreciate the value of differences