Academic Dates and Deadlines:
Full Academic Calendar
Faculty Advisor Resources
Academic advising is a collaborative relationship between the student and the advisor. These resources will help you facilitate that relationship in order to assist students to met their academic and career goals.
*Purpose/functions of Advisors
1. To assist students in developing educational plans that are consistent with their life goals.
2. To provide students with accurate information about academic progression and degree requirements.
3. To assist students in understanding academic policies and procedures.
4. To help students access campus resources that will enhance their ability to be academically successful.
5. To assist students in overcoming educational and personal problems.
6. To identify systemic and personal conditions that may impede student academic achievement and developing appropriate interventions.
7. To review and use available data about students academic and educational needs, performance, aspirations and problems.
8. To increase student retention by providing a personal contact that students often need and request, thereby connecting them to the institution.
*Typical activities to guide your meetings with students
1. Assisting students with decision-making and career direction.
2. Helping students understand and comply with institutional requirements.
3. Providing clear and accurate information regarding institutional policies, procedures and programmes.
4. Assisting students in the selection of courses and other educational experiences (e.g. internships, study abroad).
5. Referring students to appropriate resources, on and off campus.
6. Evaluating student progress towards established goals.
7. Collecting and distributing data regarding student needs, preferences and performance for use in refining or revising institutional/agency decisions, policies and procedures.
8. Interpreting various interest/ability inventories that provide students with information related to their career choices.
9. Utilizing a variety of supplemental systems such as online computer programmes to deliver advising information.
*Excerpted from: The roll of student affairs and services in higher education: A practical manual for developing, implementing and assessing student affairs programmes and services. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Paris, 2002, pp 25-26.www.unesco.org/education/wche.
Student Academic Plans
Please note: These documents are intended for planning purposes only. It does not replace the official College catalog and/or other division/academic departmental requirements.
Transfer Equivalency Guides
Below is a list of universities that have agreements with OCCC concerning transferring credits. Click on the name of the university, and it will link you to their Transfer Equivalency Guide.
*NOTE: Some universities will accept courses not listed on the Transfer Equivalency Guide, and we recommend you meet with an Admissions representative at that chosen university for clarification.
East Central University (ECU)
Oklahoma City University (OCU)
Additional Advising Resources
Use the GPA calculator to determine your advisees' projected semester GPA, projected cumulative GPA, and identify the grades your advisee needs to achieve in future semesters to reach his or her target GPA.