Surgical Technology Degrees from Oklahoma City Community College
Become a Surgical Technician through our innovative Cooperative Alliance program.
Studying Surgical Technology through Oklahoma City Community College’s Cooperative Alliance with Metro Tech and Moore Norman Technology Centers gives you the opportunity to immediately enter the workforce as a surgical technician. Surgical technicians work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses and other surgical personnel who deliver patient care before, during and after surgery.
If you’ve got an interest in entering the high-demand health care industry, this is a great option for you. To start, you need to first apply for admission at Metro Tech or Moore Norman Technology Centers. Both programs are fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. After graduation, you will be eligible to apply for the national certifying examinations in Surgical Technology.
In your Surgical Technology classes taught at Metro Tech and Moore Norman Technology Centers, you’ll learn:
- How to use and prepare supplies for the operating room
- The fundamentals of surgical techniques and procedures including aseptic techniques, sterilization and disinfection, instrumentation, sutures and needles
- The basic concepts of pathophysiology, regional anatomy and surgical procedures related to general surgery
- The relationship between humans and microbes, immunology, disease and disease-producing organisms, immunity, bloodborne pathogens and infectious disease processes
At Oklahoma City Community College, you’ll take core academic classes in English, math, history and more.
Surgical Technology Degree at Oklahoma City Community College
With OCCC’s Cooperative Alliance in Surgical Technology, you could earn:
- An associate degree in applied science in Surgical Technology: This degree will prepare you for immediate entry into the workforce as a surgical technician. You will also be prepared to take the national certifying examination in Surgical Technology.
OCCC’s Cooperative Alliance program allows students to earn an associate degree in Surgical Technology. In these programs you will:
- Complete all your general education requirements at OCCC
- Take your Surgical Technology courses at Metro Tech or Moore Norman Technology Centers
Surgical Technology Courses at Metro Tech and Moore Norman Technology Centers Through Oklahoma City Community College
In addition to your general education requirements, you’ll take these Surgical Technology classes:
- Surgical Techniques I, II and III
- Surgical Techniques Practicum I, II and III
- Medical Terminology
- Technical Microbiology
Since your core courses in Surgical Technology are offered at Metro Tech and Moore Norman Technology Centers, you’ll learn from the faculty at those institutions.
Careers in Surgical Technology
Job growth in this career field is projected to be faster than average since the number of surgeries performed in the United States will likely increase as the population ages and requires more medical care.
In addition, new surgical procedures, such as those using laser technology and fiber optics are currently in development.