TRiO Upward Bound is an educational student assistance program funded through the U.S. Department of Education. The purpose of Upward Bound is to help students acquire the skills and motivation necessary to succeed in high school and in education beyond high school. The three major objectives of the program are:
- Improve Academic Preparation
- Improve Self-Concepts
- Increase Post-Secondary Enrollment
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Students must be enrolled in 9th-12th grade and be 13-19 years of age. They must also be at one of the following schools: U.S. Grant High School, Capitol Hill High School, Southeast High School, Pathways Middle College, Moore High School, Southmoore high School and Westmoore High School.Students must:
- meet income criteria and/or,
- first generation post-secondary student.
Additional guidelines to look for are students who may have:
- average to high-standardized test scores yet have low grades,
- frequent absenteeism,
- external factors that historically contribute to high drop-out rates
HOW IS THE PROGRAM DESIGNED?
The program is designed to offer:
- Monthly academic, career and personal counseling -- both individual and in small groups (5-15).
- Tutoring will be available to students needing academic improvement. A minimum of two (2) hours per week must be devoted to tutoring sessions.
- Mandatory monthly workshops, cultural activities and other events required.
- A mandatory six week component called Summer Mini-College where students will take courses, get to walk through college enrollment procedures and be counseled in completing college financial aid applications.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Participants will be eligible to receive a small stipend for participating in program activities. Each student may receive a $40.00 monthly stipend if they attend at least 90% percent of , but not limited to the following:
- Weekly tutorial sessions
- Monthly counseling appointments
- Monthly workshop, cultural activities or events
Summer school participants may receive up to $60.00 per month with similar guidelines for the six week period. Students are required to attend all Upward Bound activities including the six-week summer session. Excessive absences will result in dismissal from the program.